Shaving aid remake

Project  / Project number: 2021#020  /  Status:

The challenge

The challenge with this project was not to invent a new device but to recreate as closely as possible an existing one whilst making it possible to 3D print the parts and include a currently available razor. The original device used injection moulded parts and these were permanently glued together. I needed to make the replacement in a way that could be modified if necessary and parts replaced if they were damaged.

The original device, completely obsolete.

The solution

The client visited our house with his existing device and sat outside (in the sun) whilst I took it inside and measured and photographed it. I was also able to see how it worked; it has a hand strap fixed to the base part and a smaller part can rotate inside this. On top of the smaller part is a moulding that can also rotate in a different plane and has the razor’s handle cut down and  glued into it Hence the razor can be put into almost any position relative to the user’s hand.

From the sketches I was able to design some 3D printable parts and I purchased a 5 blade Gillette razor (which should have replacement blades available for many years). The handle of the razor turned out to be made of some sort of non-ferrous metal so I was able to saw and file it so it would fit into the 3D printed part, a 6BA nut was glued to it so it could be removed if needed. We found some nylon webbing that could be used for the strap and I bought some polyethylene foam to use for the pad on the base.

This is an exploded view of the parts (except the strap) and an assembled view, both taken from SolidWorks. All the parts screw together (with self-threading screws) so it can be dismantled:

One cause for concern was making the rotating parts have the right amount of friction so the could be turned but would stay put during use. This was done by filing the deliberately slightly over-sized parts until the friction seemed right, this was an experiment with 3D printed spring sections. These parts could be replaced if this turned out to be wrong or wear made them loose without having to remake the whole device.

I discovered that the foam could be glued to the base moulding with hot melt glue (nothing else worked) and my wife kindly sewed up the strap onto the D and square rings.

The completed unit was posted off to the client who was delighted with it and made a generous donation to our group.

The completed device.

The benefit

The benefit is simple, it allows the client to continue shaving independently.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *